3.01.2011

fries.

french fries have been on my mind for some time. I have been primarily thinking of the fries from central market in austin, tx. similar to the ones at the now closed blakes on telegraph. I watched food network all weekend for "comfort food" weekend. anne burrell made fish and chips -- both from scratch. even sandra lee made french fries from scratch, and she is one to just open a bad and call it semi-homemade. so, I decided to make my own from scratch. we had potatoes, we had oil, and we had a food thermometer. let me say that they came out perfectly! I only made a small batch (2 small russet potatoes) since they're not too healthy to consume on a diet, but I'll make more next time and take some pics. I couldn't get over how good they tasted, as they could easily rival a real restaurant's. no joke. followed the same technique (soak in water, dry completely, fry twice) and they were very crispy on the outside and light and pillowy on the inside. just a little salt, pepper, and pinch of both garlic and cayenne. from potato to fry, it took less than an hour. worth a try for any french fry enthusiast. I definitely feel less guilty consuming these than I do ordering them out. craving them now...and its only 10am. yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment